Tips for an Awe-Inspiring Christmas Lights Display
Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year! People all over the world celebrate the holidays by taking a moment to step back from daily life and spending intimate time with their friends and family.
One of the most delightful parts of the holiday season is, without a doubt, the decorating. Christmas lights are the most popular way to show your spirit and spread cheer. You have so many choices when it comes to decorating that it may feel overwhelming at times.
Our pro-grade Christmas lights and decorations are sure to help elevate your display no matter your taste. However, there is more to creating an awe-inspiring display than just having the right materials. In this blog, we will discuss our top tips for creating a stunning Christmas lights display. Continue reading to learn how you can bring your spectacular vision to life this year.
How to Create a Stunning Christmas Lights Display
There are many different things you can do to help create the Christmas lights display of your dreams. Below are our top tips for elevating your decorations this year.
First, to craft a fabulous Christmas lights display, let your creativity shine. There is no “right way” to decorate for the holidays. It’s all about what makes you happy. While there are some tips you can follow that will help any Christmas lights display to look better, your choices are up to your personal taste, your space, and your imagination.
There are many different ways that you can become inspired. Some of the best ways to get ideas for your Christmas lights display include watching old and recent holiday movies or checking out social media. Watching holiday movies is a wonderful way to gain inspiration for your Christmas lights display. There are so many different movies available that will help you to gain ideas. Whether you’re looking to create a vintage or more modern look, Christmas movies can help you get creative and make something new and unique. Check out these weird Christmas movies!
Social media is another excellent resource for holiday inspiration. While you can opt to visit local neighborhoods and business districts for ideas, social media provides a full window to the world without ever having to leave your home. Thus, you get a lot more variety that is simply not available otherwise.
Additionally, you don’t need to wait until after the Christmas season has already begun before you can look to social media for inspiration. Many people start planning and posting about their Christmas lights display prior to the holiday season, which means you can get an early look at trending ideas for the season.
Finally, if you connect on social media with professional Christmas lights distributors and installers, such as Christmas Designers, you can receive year-round support and inspiration.
Plan Your Display
The next tip for creating a truly stunning Christmas lights display is to begin with a plan. Here are our top tips for organizing your holiday display this year:
- Draw your design first: First, it’s important to take the time to sketch out your vision. Use a piece of paper or your computer and plan out your entire display, including what power sources you intend to use. This will help to keep you organized and ensure that you have all of the supplies you'll need to bring your vision to life. Additionally, this will make the actual installation much easier, as you will know exactly what you’re trying to achieve.
- Gather your supplies: Next, take the time to gather all your necessary supplies before attempting to bring your sketch to life. Gather your inventory and get everything organized before moving forward with any actual installations. This will save you time and prevent you from going back and making adjustments. Don’t forget about fixtures that you’ll need to bring your vision to life, such as vampire plugs, zip cord, clips, or hot glue. Vampire plugs and zip cord are particularly essential to creating a professional-looking Christmas lights display.
- Stick to your plan: Finally, make sure that you don’t deviate too far from your original plan. Often, people find themselves wanting to make changes and add on additional aspects when their vision finally comes to life. However, this is often a mistake and can result in you getting confused, overwhelmed, or running out of supplies. If you have previously sketched out your design and gathered your supplies, it’s best to just stick to your original vision, even if you become inspired along the way. While it’s perfectly fine to add on additional components, try to finish your project first before deciding to add anything else.
Use Only Quality Lights
Using only pro-quality lights in your display is a surefire way to make your Christmas decorations stand out this year. If you opt for cheap Christmas lights, you can run into quite a few unforeseen problems that will only add to your stress.
Your lights may experience interruption or failure. The most common reason for light failure is dirt or water seeping into the lights. However, when you use pro-grade lights, such as the ones offered at Christmas Designers, the lights come as one complete unit. This means that there are no gaps in the materials that can allow for dirt or water to seep in and corrupt the electrical components. Thus, your lights will be sure to last and you’re much less likely to have a dead bulb or a completely dead set of stringer lights. Additionally, professional-quality lights are brighter and more brilliant than traditional incandescent lights or your standard retail-quality LED lights.
Pro Tip: To create a truly awe-inspiring Christmas lights display, look to the Twinkly Home line of lights. Twinkly lights are animated RGB smart lights that can be controlled via an app on your phone. Using the Twinkly app, you can create literally millions of color and pattern combinations with just the swipe of your finger. Twinkly lights are truly the leader in lighting technology, so if you want to create a stunning Christmas lights display with ease, they should be your go-to this year.
Consider Your Colors
Color is a vital component of all holiday displays. When deciding which colors work best for your unique Christmas lights set up, it’s important to consider the psychology of color. Color theory dictates that there are certain colors that people respond to in very particular ways.
Colors can have a powerful effect on our emotions, so using it strategically in your holiday display can provide many benefits. Some of the most powerful colors include:
- Red: Red is an intense color that can have a significant impact. Red is associated with love and power. It also has religious connotations, which can make it particularly appropriate for the Christmas season. It can also help create a romantic or powerful scene when designing your Christmas lights display. Additionally, because red is so attention-grabbing, it can be the perfect color to highlight specific areas of your business, especially around the cash register.
- Green: Green is associated with growth and rebirth. It is an uplifting color that is also traditionally gender-neutral. Green is enjoyed by everyone and can “cut through” other colors and backgrounds. Thus, it can be a valuable addition to your Christmas lights display.
- Pure White: Pure white is another excellent color for your Christmas lights display. While warm white is the most popular color of Christmas lights, pure white lights create a clean, crisp look that can add a classy touch to your holiday decorations with a sophisticated look. Pure white also naturally pairs well with other colors, making it a wonderful choice no matter what other colors you intend to use.
- Blue: Blue is another crowd-pleasing color that is generally enjoyed by everyone. Blue is also associated with calming feelings, such as confidence, intelligence, and faith.
Thus, blue Christmas lights displays can create a tranquil feeling when people are regarding your display. This can have a wonderful impact on friends and family who want to relax during the holidays.
Pay Attention to Details and Be Safe
Paying attention to details is another way to ensure that you are creating a truly unique and awe-inspiring Christmas lights display. One of the most important details that people often overlook is testing their Christmas lights before installation. There is nothing more frustrating than installing Christmas lights, only to find out that the set doesn’t work. Thus, before installing anything, make sure that you take the time to plug in and test your stringer sets.
It’s important to make safety a priority when setting up your Christmas decorations. Many potential safety issues can arise if you’re not taking the time to pay attention to safety protocols, especially when installing outdoor Christmas lights and other outdoor Christmas decorations.
When installing Christmas lights on your roof or any elevated surface, you will likely need a ladder. Always make sure that you have someone spotting you when using a ladder, as this can be a particularly precarious place to be, especially when trying to hang Christmas lights at the same time. Be sure to also set up your ladder with a wide base by extending the legs.
When lining lights on your roof, you may find that it’s slippery from snow or ice. Use extreme caution if you find yourself lining your roof with lights. You can also take advantage of safe clothing when installing your lights on your roof. Items such as gloves that feature traction and cleats in your boots can make all the difference.
Electricity is always a concern when it comes to installing Christmas lights. Make sure you’re not overloading your home’s electrical circuits with too many stringer sets at once. While it’s likely that you would only blow a fuse, in rare cases, a spark could ignite, resulting in fires and damages. Make sure you’re always exercising caution when plugging in your lights and avoid overloading one particular socket.
Create a Spectacular Christmas Lights Display
There are many ways to create the Christmas lights display of your dreams. Getting creative with your ideas is a wonderful way to start. You can watch old holiday movies or browse social media to gain inspiration.
However, while nurturing your creativity is an important part of crafting your design, you must also remember to stay organized and not deviate too much from your original vision. Furthermore, always make sure you’re paying attention to details, including testing your lights and ensuring safety.
Preparation is a big part of creating a spectacular Christmas lights display, so don’t wait too long before starting to craft your vision for this year. With a little forethought and gathering of supplies, you can make sure your holiday display truly shines this year.